FIRST DEFEAT FOR FRESHMEN

1915 Forwards Unable to Penetrate St. Paul's Defense, and School Seven Won by 5 to 1 Score.

The Freshman hockey team suffered its first defeat of the season at the hands of St. Paul's School in Concord on Saturday afternoon by a 5 to 1 score. The playing of the St. Paul's men was in every way an improvement over their work against the Yale freshmen a week before, their defense being practically impregnable. The Freshman defense, on the other hand, was weak; and it was owing to this, that the team lost the game, for its attack was better than at any time previous this year, and fully as good as that of St. Paul's. Claflin carried the puck down the rink well, but otherwise the four men who played at point and coverpoint proved entirely unable to stop the opposing forwards, and the brunt of the work developed upon Wigglesworth. He did well, although somewhat bothered by the sunlight.

Throughout the game, the Freshman forward line was effective in advancing the puck, even after being handicapped by the loss of deWindt through injury early in the second half, but except for once when Phillips shot a goal from scrimmage, was unable to pierce the opposing defense. Ford at goal in particular, played a remarkable game for St. Paul's.

How the Scores Were Made.

In the first half St. Paul's scored twice on long shots, and early in the second period a third tally was made from scrimmage. Then came Phillip's goal for the Freshmen, and in the last five minutes, when the Freshmen were weakened by substitutions, two more goals were scored by St. Paul's.

The summary:

Score--St. Paul's 5; Harvard 1915, 1. Goals--Babbitt 2, Reynolds 2, Burgess, Phillips. Referee--Mr. Dolbeare, St. Paul's. Timekeeper--Mr. Scudder, St. Paul's. Time--Two 20-minute halves. HARVARD 1915.  ST. PAUL'S Tapping, Taylor, l.e.  r.e., J. W. Humphreys Phillips, l.c.  r.c., Babbitt de Windt, Trainer, r.c.  l.c., Dickey Winsor, Tapping, r.e.  l.e., Burgess Claflin, c.p.  c.p., Reynolds Handy, Burns, Williams, p.  p., J. Humphreys Wigglesworth, Washburn, g.  g., Ford