SOCIALISM.

During the last month there has been a new interest in Socialism shown at Harvard largely owing to the presence of the strike at Lawrence. The CRIMSON has received numerous communications on the subject, many of which have been printed, and some of which for one reason or another have not been printed. Mr. Victory Berger has delivered an address on the subject, and finally the Socialist Club has issued the first of a series of tracts upon it.

Hitherto the CRIMSON has not mentioned the subject in its editorial columns for several reasons. It has not wished to become mixed up in the controversy which found vent in communications to us regarding the meaning of Socialism and the strike at Lawrence. Neither does it wish to get mixed up in the controversy now. At the same time, whatever Socialism may mean, and who-ever may be right, we are at least interested in this tract of the Socialist Club, not because we want to see more socialists, nor because it is a remarkable or flawless bit of argument. We have always held that Harvard men should interest themselves in current problems, and Harvard men certainly know nothing about Socialism as a rule. Our most important reason for considering it, however, is that it seems to us that the danger of the movement lies only in the glamor that surrounds it. If this were removed the blind enthusiasm of the fanatic would fade into nothing, and the blind opposition of the conservative would die a natural death. Accordingly we welcome this publicity that Socialism has been striving for lately at the University, as in no way an alarming symptom of radicalism, but merely as the necessary step in reducing Socialism from its position as a wronged cause, or as a dangerous bogey into a position where it can be viewed as an object for sane study.