EXCHANGE PROFESSORS LEAVE

Prof. Dlehi and Prof. Kuekenthal to Lecture in West Before Returning Home.

With the end of the first half-year the service of Professor Charles, Die, of the University of Paris, the Exchange Professor from France, of Professor Willy Kuekenthal, of Paris, the University of Breslau, the German Exchange Professor, and of Mr. H. W. V. Temperley, F. R. H. S., of Peterhouse College, Cambridge, England, comes to an end. Mr. Temperley has already sailed for home. Professor Die will lecture at Columbia, and will travel as far West as Chicago, and as far south as New Orleans, lecturing also at both places. Professor Kuekenthal will before returning to Germany in March lecture at Yale, and at the Universities of Illionis, of Michigan, and of Wisconsin; and he will also carry on some research in the marine laboratory at Lajolla, on the Pacific Coast, after visiting the Grand Canon in Arizona.

During the half-year Professor Die has given an advanced course in Byzantine history, and a series of afternoon lectures which, though open to the public counted under certain conditions for the degree. His instruction was given entirely in French. His course of lectures at the Lowell Institute, also given in French, had audiences of 500 to 600.

Professor Kuekenthal gave the lectures in the elementary course, in zoology, and a graduate course, with lectures in German, on Some Aspects of the Comparative Morphology of Vertebrates. He gave also a course of three lectures at the Lowell Institute on the evolution and morphology of whales, and carried on some research at the Museum of Comparative Zoology on the soft corals.

Mr. Temperley gave History 12a, the course on English history from the Revolution of 1688 to the Reform Bill, which was so long given by Professor Macvane, and a special course on The Growth of the British Empire, and also directed the research of a few graduate students in recent English history.