A SENIOR ADVISERS' COMMITTEE

It was to meet the need of more intimate guidance and friendship for Freshmen that the present system of Senior advisers was added to the Faculty advisory system. It has been on trial long enough now to test its merits. Have the Seniors done their part? In most cases, they have at least tried to do so. They have perhaps written a cordial letter to each of their advisees before College opens, inviting the new student to call; they may even have joined other Seniors in their "entry" in giving an "open night." There is no lack of good will in the matter.

But it cannot be denied that much the same perfunctory relation which it was sought to avoid still persists in spite of these efforts. At mid-years many a Senior adviser cannot recognize in the Yard the advisee whom in September he so cordially "welcomed"-and forgot. In their fear of appearing too patronizing, the Seniors have refrained from "chasing up" these men, apparently at cost of losing touch with them altogether. The relation should be a real and vital one.

If Harvard is to have a "system" of Senior advisers, let it be at least systematized sufficiently to endure for more than a few days in September. We should have in control of the system a committee who will utilize the good intentions wasted in half-hearted effort. Such a committee could give intelligent supervision without undue officiousness; and could at the same time act as an effective stimulus to a worthy movement which manifestly needs vitalization.