FIRE PROTECTION.

We publish on another page of this morning's issue a letter to the CRIMSON from the Inspector of Grounds and Buildings relative to fire protection in Yard buildings.

This communication presents a different view of the matter than that held by the CRIMSON and by undergraduates in general. According to it the protection against fire in the dormitories has been declared sufficient by experts. To us this statement does not in the least appear to be one that should be disregarded, but at the same time the fact that those most intimate with the conditions have an entirely different view of the matter, forces us to the conclusion that there is at least room for two opinions. In such a serious matter a situation which is even doubtful should not be allowed to exist, if there are ways of improving it. Some claim that the protection is sufficient, but certainly no one can claim that it is the best possible protection under the circumstances.

As a witness of the justice of our past complaints, we are glad to see that gongs and patent sprinklers are being installed. We are also glad to see that our suggestion as to leaving the hall lights burning has been adopted. The CRIMSON complained of this lack of fire protection because it thought that improvements could be made. It sees that they are being made, and hopes that they will continue until the dormitories are as safe as possible.