LOCAL HARVARD CLUBS SHOULD SPREAD INFORMATION

(Harvard Alumni Bulletin).

The action of the New England Federation of Harvard Clubs in urging each local Harvard Club in New England to appoint a committee to spread information about Harvard among the schools in its neighborhood is, we believe, a wise one from every point of view. For the College it is essential, for even in New England Harvard does not occupy the obvious pre-eminence among the college-going classes that it once did, largely because the college-going class has so enlarged itself in the last twenty-five years. Nowadays great numbers of boys work their way through college, and many of them do not know of the many chances of earning money at Harvard. For the boys themselves it is highly desirable that all colleges shall put their respective advantages before the schools, so that any given boy can have full information before he decides whether a small college, a local college, or a large university is best suited to his particular needs. For the cities and towns it is of great importance to have the boys who are going to college scatter widely, in order that they may come back with a variety of views and interests to quick-on the life of their towns.

Probably no college has been so backward as Harvard in thus making known the advantages that it offers young men. Partly through carelessness, partly through preoccupation with the rush of new developments at the University we have lost out hold on New England, and get far too small a number of the strong and able boys who still pour out of the ancient fountain of manhood. If the clubs respond to this call of the Federation, Harvard will be enabled to enter again into a more fitting share of mutual service in the home country.