A SWIMMING TANK.

The more that the Union can become a center for Harvard life the better is it for the University. Through its dinning halls, its reading and committee rooms, and its library, it has become a place where many of us go to eat, to read, to see our friends, to hear prominent men speak on prominent subjects. Within its walls, too, are the Athletic Office, the Advocate Sanctum, and the CRIMSON, so that all of us are in one way or another brought into close connection with it.

We now hear of a new proposal: that the space now used for billiard tables be turned into a swimming pool, a pool which even larger than that at the Y. M. C. A., can be of service not only to candidates for the swimming team, but for all Union members who wish to enjoy it. This tank is as yet only a proposal, its future has not been actually determined, but we wish to emphasize the good effects which we think will result from it. It will help the swimming team, and encourage swimming in general. It will make membership in the Union even more desirable than it is now. It will make the Union still further a center for Harvard life by knitting it up with our athletic interests. These reasons and other minor ones convince us that this tank is a suggestion which ought to be carried through.