ROOSEVELT AS A CANDIDATE

EX-SENATOR BEVERIDGE OF INDIANA EXPLAINED HIS QUALIFICATIONS.

Albert J. Beveridge, ex-Senator from Indiana, spoke in the Union yesterday afternoon under the auspices of the Roosevelt Club. Senator Beveridge outlined his reasons for supporting Roosevelt for nomination on the Republican ticket.

The issue is not one of men, but of what will result best for the republic. Roosevelt's record during his seven years in office was never equalled in constructive achievements by any other administration except Washington's. During those seven years Roosevelt never lost a battle and all his battles were for the welfare of the people.

The Ex-President's Achievements.

The first great accomplishment of the Roosevelt administration was the establishment of the department of commerce and labor, a step which created at the time much unfavorable comment, but which has already demonstrated its worth and beneficence. Following this came the great railroad legislation of 1906, and then the laws for the conservation of the nation's resources, protecting the country against the timber thieves and the mineral operators. But greater than any of these was the canal legislation, the realization of an aspiration of the American people hundreds of years old. Theodore Roosevelt was the man who got these measures through, and they stand today, a splendid monument to his work in national affairs.

A Man of Peace, Not of War.

Roosevelt is called a man of war; yet he stopped the bloodiest war of history, the Russian-Japanese war, which threatened two great nations with destruction and drew into the quarrel many others. There was not any precedence for interfering, but the result justified the act. Roosevelt was not a breaker of precedence but a maker of precedence. The treaty of Portsmouth, the outcome of Theodore Roosevelt's own efforts, raised the prestige of the American nation to a position commanding greater respect and recognition among the nations of the world than ever before attained.

Senator Beveridge stated that he preferred a Conservative Republican administration to a Democratic because of the fact that the Democratic party is not qualified to be the party in power. It contains the elements of opposition and not of construction. The last Democratic administration was a failure, with abler men in control than the party can boast of today.

Present-Day Problems.

Regarding the urgent problems confronting the country now, Senator Beveridge suggested three which demand a man of Roosevelt's calibre for their solution. Protective tariff rates must be substituted for extortionate rates; business laws three hundred years old must be modernized; the government must be taken from the bosses and placed in the hands of the people. The time is ripe for action and it remains for the country to choose the man who will see these policies through.