OPENING OF VARSITY CLUB

Tributes to Memory of F. H. Burr '09 Marked Formal Dedication Dinner.

The Varsity Club erected in memory of F. H. Burr '09, was formally opened on Saturday evening. A large body of past and present athletes attended the dinner. The speakers showed how Harvard has been in need of such a building for many years and they expressed hope for the future of the teams.

F. W. Thayer '78, who has been the chief promoter of the club-house, acted as toastmaster. He said that Captain Burr did not play in the latter part of 1908 because he knew that his injuries would not permit him to fight as hard as the other players. That is the kind of man whom Harvard wants. Professor Barrett Wendell '77, of the department of English, Professor H. S. White '73, of the department of German, and J. W. Hallowell '01, of Milton, spoke briefly of their experiences in athletics. Professor White compared modern baseball with the game he played in the seventies. In those days there were no gloves, masks, or training tables. The teams today have many advantages and should be much better.

Coach P. D. Haughton's Speech.

Coach P. D. Haughton '99 spoke of the place of the Varsity Club in College. He told of the former trials of the teams in their eating accommodations. The club is now some distance from Soldiers Field, but it is far more convenient than the Yale training quarters. The Varsity Club should mean a bright future for Harvard athletics. The athletes were formerly isolated and those who did not belong to social clubs had little chance for fellowship. This was a great evil and the direct benefits were apparent when the teams moved into their rooms on Holyoke street. There was then an opportunity for closer relations between the players and also between the players and coaches. In closing, Coach Haughton paid a great tribute to Captain Burr.

Captain Fisher's Speech.

R. T. Fisher '12, of Newton Centre, spoke of the growth of the club since he entered College and in behalf of the undergraduate body expressed his gratitude to the men who had made the new building possible. The undergraduates appreciate it and realize what the club will mean. It will give the men an opportunity to know and to help one another. It is an experiment, but it should prove a great success. Captain Fisher said that he was glad that there would be a permanent monument to Burr, since he was one of the finest men who ever graduated from the University.