MR. BATCHELDER'S LECTURE

"WHAT A BUSINESS MAN EXPECTS OF AN ENGINEER" WAS HIS SUBJECT.

C. C. Batchelder '89, delivered the first of two lectures bearing on "What a Business Man Expects of an Engineer" in Pierce 202 yesterday afternoon. He pointed out the degree of dependence of the engineer upon the business man, and the relationship between the two which must be observed by the engineer.

The engineer must first realize that he gets his employment from the business man who furnishes necessary capital. The latter has four requisites which the former must take account of, namely, he has to be saved money, time, trouble, and his problems must be worked out for him in advance. Therefore the business man will always ask these questions: "What will the project cost? Will it pay? Where is the money coming from?" The engineer must be able to answer these and at the same time impress upon his employer the necessity of the future growth of the enterprise. Furthermore he must be able to make recommendations, graphic charts, and reports which will convince a board of directors that the project will be a success. In other words, the engineer must have a constructive and administrative mind. It is conceded that 75 per cent. of the successful engineers are those who are combining executive ability with their technical training, and meeting the approval of their employers, the business men.