BETTER SINGING AT HARVARD.

One evening recently, some twenty men attended a professor's "at home," and following an instrumental duet by two of them, it was suggested that all join in singing "something that everybody knew." But it seemed there was almost no song which everybody knew, and after a pathetic rendering of "Oh You Beautiful Doll" and "The Ragtime Violin," somewhat more successful assaults were made on the football songs. It is little wonder that, after a dismal rehearsal of "Fair Harvard," the professor commented sadly upon the inability of Harvard students to sing.

A year ago last January, a most inopportune time, on account of the mid-year examinations, an attempt was made to form a University Chorus, similar to those of the German universities. There was no definite program laid out and, as might be expected, so few men attended rehearsals that after a short time the scheme was abandoned. Nevertheless, the CRIMSON believes that if a serious effort were made by the undergraduates and members of the department of Music interested in singing, a University Chorus would not be an impossibility.

Such an organization is needed to lead the hither to deplorable singing at the football games. By holding a competition an excellent chorus might be chosen which would sing football songs much more effectively than they are now sung. As an inducement, the chorus should be given favorable seats at the games. Furthermore, many men would go out who have excellent voices, but not the training or the time necessary to try for the Glee Club. Just such men are needed to give Harvard representative singing.