FRESHMAN SCHOLARSHIP.

In its recent report to the Student Council the Committee on Scholarship and Publications has rendered a very pregnant suggestion for raising the level of scholarship among undergraduates. In brief, the committee's plan is to secure an increased interest in scholarship in the Freshman class, and in that way to elevate progressively the scholarship standards of the upper classes. That the problem lies with the Freshman class is shown by an examination of figures showing the percentages in the various classes of men winning academic distinction. Only ten per cent, of last year's Freshman class won positions in the first or second group. Of the Sophomores, eleven per cent, were honor men, and of the Juniors sixteen per cent. These figures not only reveal a progressive interest in and attention to scholarship, but they offer the suggestion than the place for reform is the Freshman class. Here conditions are worst and here changes can be made most easily.

And so arises the question: what is a feasible means for raising the level of scholarship in the Freshman class? Now the Committee on Scholarship, after a careful consideration of the facts, has come to the conclusion that a fundamental reason for the low standing of the average Freshman is the feeling that academic distinctions are quite beyond his reach. And in this conclusion the Committee in undoubtedly right. The requirements for admission to first or second group are higher in the case of Freshmen than for members of the three other classes. In support of this difference in distinction requirements it has been argued that the Freshman is taking elementary courses, whereas the upper classman is delving into more difficult studies. However, this argument neglects the fact that students in their first year have not yet outlived preparatory school methods and find great difficulty in adapting themselves to college methods of study. It overlooks the consideration that elementary courses offer quite as much difficulty to the less mature and inexperienced Freshman as the more advanced courses offer to the upper classman. Yet the present system argues than the Freshman must attain a higher standard of work than the upper classman in order to be ranked with them in the first or second group.

The result of the maintenance of this extremely high and differential standard for Freshmen is obvious. Thinking four A's, or even the grades requisite for a position in the second group, beyond his reach, the Freshman contents himself with C's. Despairing of attaining distinction, he is satisfied with mediocrity. The present system may, without exaggeration, be characterized as unfair--Unfair because it requires the Freshman who is trying for distinction to reach higher standards than the Senior.

More just and more reasonable requirements for Freshman honors will result in a more general competition for them. When a position in the first or second group is more attainable, more Freshmen will seek to win academic distinction. So the committee on Scholarship and Publications is led to conclude that the requirements for the winning of Freshman academic distinctions should be lowered so as to hold out more inducements to the average Freshman to compete for such honors. We heartily concur with the committee in recommending that Freshmen be admitted to the first and second groups on the same basis as the upper classmen.