ANNUAL DUDLEIAN LECTURE

Revelation May Come to Us at Any Time Through the Soul.-Address by Dr. Evans.

Rev. Daniel Evans, D.D., Andover Professor of Systematic Theology, delivered the Dudleian Lecture for the current academic year last evening.

He pointed out the new interest in nature which sprang up soon after the middle ages and said that through nature there comes to man a partial revelation of the divine spirit. This revelation, however, is made complete to the human only by passing through a soul. The soul can realize God in revelation only by spiritual interpretation. There is no ready-made knowledge of God; it is gained by revelation in which the soul is the transmitter.

The divine revelation served as a foundation for the church. Men of today find the spirit ready to receive the revelation in the souls of historic persons, but far, more so in the souls of members of the present-day community. From this arises the spirit of fellowship, the prototype of which is found in the feeling of Christ for the redeemed sinner. In closing the speaker made it a point of special emphasis that the revelation of God was present here in the people's midst and at no remote distance of space or of time.