GERMANIC MUSEUM EXERCISES

Laying of Cornerstone Next Saturday.--Ambassador von Bernstorff to Speak.

The ceremonies incident to the laying of the cornerstone of the New Germanic Museum will be held next Saturday at noon. Adolphus Busch, of St. Louis, whose donation of $250,000 forms the greater part of the total amount subscribed to the building fund, will be present. Professor Kuno Francke, of the department of German, and Curator of the museum will have charge of the exercises, and Johann Heinrich von Bernstorff, Imperial German Ambassador at Washington has accepted an invitation to speak. Mr. Andrew D. White, former American Ambassador at Berlin has also been invited to attend.

The guests will assemble in the old Germanic Museum, in the triangle at Broadway, Cambridge and Quincy streets, and will then proceed to the site of the new building, on the corner of Divinity avenue and Kirkland street. The exercises will consist of the actual laying of the cornerstone and an address by Ambassador von Bernstorff.

General Plan of the Building.

In accordance with Mr. Busch's desire, the Museum has been made essentially German in character, the plans being drawn by Professor Bestelmeyer, of Dresden, one of Germany's foremost architects. It consists of two wings placed at right angles to each other, and embraces an oblong rectangular space of about 130 feet on Kirkland street and about 200 feet on Divinity avenue and Frisble place. The main entrance is from Kirkland street, opening into a lower vestibule, with office-rooms on each side. Beyond a small rotunda is the Romanesque Hall, about 70 feet long, which will contain, among other valuable parts of the collection, the collosal Bernward Column. From the farther end of the Romanesque Hall an entrance leads into the Gothic Hall.