HARD WORK FOR VARSITY CREW

THREE MILES IN SHORT STRETCHES AT HIGH STROKE.--FRESHMAN FOUR CHANGED.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top. New London, Conn., June 10, 1912.--The University eight was given a hard workout this afternoon. The crew paddled down to the three-mile flag in company with the Freshman eight. On the return they were given three fast stretches, working the stroke up gradually on each, the University crew getting it up beyond forty, the Freshmen reaching several points higher. The encouraging feature of the practice was that the men held the stroke longer than they have done previously, although the stroke was the highest they have reached since coming here. The University four rowed a half-mile at high speed. The boat left the mark quickly and the crew rowed well throughout the distance.

Coach Wray in Single.

Coach Wray gave all the crews individual coaching from his single scull in the morning. To the University eight he again laid emphasis on the fact that each man must follow the stroke exactly, in order to obtain the perfect unison essential to getting the highest speed of which the crew is capable.

As the Freshman four has not been going very well during the last few days, several new combinations were tried out this morning and afternoon. The following order was used this afternoon: Stroke, Weatherhead; 3, Storrow; 2, Lothrop; bow, Hutchins; cox., Paine.