HARVARD AND THE NATION

Statistics of University Graduates in Highest Public Offices.

With a view to giving CRIMSON readers an idea of the position which Harvard men hold in the service of the country, statistics have been compiled showing the relation of the number of college graduates and Harvard graduates to the total number of positions in the most conspicuous departments of national service.

The phases of work investigated are: the Supreme Court, Congress, the Cabinet, and the consular service. The figures were compiled from various sources, the main ones being the "World's Almanac," "Who's Who" and the "Harvard University Directory."

Supreme Court.

In the Supreme Court there are, counting the Chief Justice with the Associate Justices, nine men, of whom seven are college graduates and one, Oliver Wendell Holmes '61, a Harvard man. Justice Holmes was appointed in 1902.

Congress.

In the 62nd Congress, of 92 Senators 61, or 66.3 per cent., are college graduates; and of these, three, or a little less than 3.3. per cent., are Harvard men. In the House of Representatives there are 391 members, of whom 256, or 65.5 per cent., have had a college education. Thirteen congressmen, or a little less than 3.3. per cent., are graduates of Harvard. It will be noticed that the percentages of college men and of Harvard graduates are almost identical in the Senate and the House. The figures for the House show an increase of three Harvard men since the previous Congress. One of these, Robert J. Bulkley '06, has the distinction of being the youngest member.

Consular Service.

There are now ten countries in which the United States has ambassadors extraordinary and plenipotentiary. Seven of these ambassadors are college graduates. Curtis Guild '81, the minister to Russia, graduated with a summa cum laude degree. Robert Bacon '80 was until recently United States minister to France, but resigned-this post to become a Fellow of the University.

Cabinet.

In the Cabinet the highest percentages are to be found. All the ministers are college men. F. H. Hitchcock '91, Postmaster-General, and G. von L. Meyer '79, Secretary of the Navy, are both graduates of Harvard. This gives the exceedingly high figure of 22.2 per cent. of the total number.