PROFESSOR PALMER HONORED

Degree of Doctor of Humanities Conferred by Princeton University at Commencement Exercises.

At Princeton's commencement held yesterday, the degree of Doctor of Humanities was conferred upon George Herbert Palmer '64, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy and Civil Polity in the University. In presenting the honorary degree to Professor Palmer Dean West of Princeton said:

"George Herbert Palmer, professor of philosophy in Harvard University, a teacher who holds his students by scholarship of living power, a clear thinker of calm meditative tone, a student of ethics with a deep grasp on that theistic truth which underlies all righteousness, a literary artist--fit editor of the poems of his spiritual ancestor, George Herbert; his refinement in style, whether in philosophy or literature being no mere fastidiousness, but the reflex of refined thought, a philosopher in the original sense, widely influential for good and imbued with a tranquil enthusiasm for truth which gives substance and worth to all his work."