THE NEW GERMANIC MUSEUM.

The cornerstone of the new Germanic Museum will be laid at noon today. To Professor Francke who has been instrumental in securing the magnificent building, to Mr. Adolphus Busch who, actuated only by patriotism and generosity, has given funds which make the building possible, to the German Emperor who has encouraged the movement with gifts of money and works of Germanic art, an expression of gratitude is due. With feelings of relief we note the passing of the unfortunate Germanic Museum, and with gratitude we receive one more thing to teach us that a university is a place where the characteristics and thought of the peoples of the world are mingled, an institution which owes the country and the world a great debt.

The peculiar international aspect of the new building cannot pass unnoticed in the minds of Harvard men or any others. Bonds such as this gradually knit nations together, for as we grow from the college youth into the world man we cannot fail to remember that Germany gave us something which pleased and taught us, in return for which the least, though the best, we can give is friendship.