ANOTHER DAY OF HARD WORK

FOOTBALL MEN GIVEN A LONG SCRIMMAGE AGAINST THE SECOND TEAM.

University football practice yesterday afternoon was long and hard. Coach Haughton started the work with a blackboard talk in the Locker Building, immediately after which the men were given about ten minutes' work on the dummies. When the second squad appeared on the field, the University men left the tackling practice and went into the Stadium, where the turf is in wonderful condition for football, being just soft enough to given a good footing and not in the least damp or slippery. Here the work was chiefly in running down under and catching punts. Felton, Milholland, Bradlee, and Bradley did the kicking and all got off kicks averaging at least 40 yards. Felton's spirals were up to his old standard and in many cases were good for 45 or 50 yards. Milholland's punts were in nearly as good form but did not go so far.

While the punting work was going on for the backs and ends, the line men were at the other end of the field in charge of Coach Withington and last year's Captain Fisher, practicing recovering the ball and charging. Coach Leary had charge of the ends going down under punts, and Coach Daly instructed the backs in catching them and forming interference. When this work had been finished, there was a quarter of an hour's signal drill, after which the second team came on the field ready for a scrimmage.

First Score Due to Brickley's Work.

Team A and the seconds lined up in midfield, and for several minutes the ball passed back and forth between them without any particular advantage. Then things began to break up, and Brickley tore through tackle and dodged four or five men for a gain of 30 yards. Freedley was the only man between him and a touchdown, but he was enough and made a beautiful tackle. This placed the ball on the second's 40-yard line from where a series of rushes brought a touchdown with Brickley carrying the ball. Hitchcock kicked the goal. Score: University 7, Seconds 0.

Other Long Runs by First Team Men.

The second team took the ball on their opponents' 25-yard line and started to rush toward the goal line. But on a quarterback run Freedley was tackled for a loss of 15 yards by Smith, who had replaced Felton at left end. This forced the second team to punt, H. Hardwick receiving the ball for the University on his 15-yard line and running it back 30 yards. On the next play the seconds seemed to have weakened, for Brickley smashed through tackle for a 55-yard run to a touchdown. Freedley might have tackled him again, had there not been a closer piece of interference done. There was no try at goal. Score: University 13, Seconds 0.

It was not long before H. Hardwick attempted Brickley's long distance gaining and tore off 30 yards around the right end of the second team. Freedle again came to the rescue and threw the run- ner, being unable to tackle him. The play, however, placed the ball within kicking distance, and Brickley made a beautiful score from the 30-yard line. Score: University 16, Seconds 0.

After this score team B went into the game and succeeded in getting two more touchdowns. Both were made by Bettle after rushing the ball from midfield, and in neither case were goals tried. The final score was: University 28, Seconds 0.

Forward Pass Unsuccessful.

The forward pass did not work with the success which attended it Wednesday afternoon. None of the many passes tried were successful and two of those attempted by the second team were blocked as soon as they had left the passer's hand. The work which stood out most prominently was that of Brickley, H. Hardwick, Freedley, Handy, and the first team line as a whole. The first two named succeeded in making long gains, while their team-mate in the backfield, Bradlee, was most useful at interference and charging. Logan at quarterback used a great deal of snap in running the team. Freedley's good work, it can be seen above, was in defending his goal against the long charges of the first team backs. He was spilled once by interference, but twice saved a score by good tackling. Handy played substitute back on the second team and used his weight to good advantage as a defensive back; his work was steady rather than brilliant. The scrimmage lasted fully an hour and ended only when the light began to fade. It was the hardest work of the year so far and was excellent preparation for tomorrow's game.

Unusually large number of Coaches.

The most unusual sight at the Stadium at practice this fall is the number of graduate coaches who are appearing regularly to help round out the team. There are coaches enough to build an eleven and all are working hard with the men, for in the line, which will be called on for a great deal of defensive work with an extra down, there is not a wealth of heavy men of the proper speed and experience. The guard positions are still doubtful though Pennock and Driscoll seem likely candidates. It is probable that the coaching staff will be still further enlarged by the addition of L. D. Smith '12, who will return for a few weeks anyway.

Line-ups of Teams.

The line-ups were as follows:

Team A.--Felton, l.e.; Storer, l.t.; Pennock, l.g.; Parmenter, c.; Driscoll, r.g.; Hitchcock, r.t.; Weatherhead, r.e.; Logan, q.b.; Brickley, l.h.b.; Bradlee, r.h.b.; H. Hardwick, f.b.

Team B.--Smith, Hollister, l.e.; Beebe, l.t.; McGuire, l.g.; Wigglesworth, c.; Withington, r.g.; Frothingham, Cleary, r.t.; Milholland, O'Brien, r.e.; Bradley, q.b.; Lingard, l.h.b.; Gibson, r.h.b.; T. Hardwick, Bettle, f.b.

Eecond team.--Parker, l.e.; Saltonstall, l.t.; Underwood, l.g.; Poole, c.; Cable, r.g.; Atkinson, r.t.; Dana, r.e.; Freedley, q.b.; Spang, l.h.b.; Graustein, r.h.b.; Handy, f.b