FALL TRACK WORK OUTLINED

NEARLY ONE HUNDRED MEN HEARD TALKS BY CAPTAIN CUMMINGS AND OTHERS.

Nearly a hundred men reported at the meeting held in the Union last evening for all men interested in track work. Captain J. B. Cummings '13 called the meeting to order and outlined the work of the fall season. Besides the regular cross-country meets, there will be handicap and consolation meets held in the Stadium in which any member of the University will be eligible to compete. For the University cross-country team regular work under Coach Shrub will commence Monday on Soldiers Field. Men who expect to work with the track team next spring, whether or not they intend to try for the cross-country team, should at least do some work on the cinder track this fall in order to be in good condition for the spring season. Captain Lawless, of the University cross-country team, spoke a few words to the long distance men, outlining the general working of a cross-country team and emphasizing the importance of having a large squad from which to pick a successful team. H. Jacques, Jr., '11, captain of the 1910 cross-country team, was the next speaker. He described a typical race, bringing out the importance of training and good head work in a long run.

Value of Freshman Team.

N. W. Bingham '95, a member of the graduate advisory committee on track athletics, spoke of the improved conditions in track athletics over those of twenty years ago. This is due largely to the fact that a great many men report each year, and the coaches have more material from which to pick the team. The establishment of a Freshman team aside from the University team has done a great deal toward perfecting the material for future University teams. A man does not have to be a preparatory school star in order to make the team; for the work which Freshmen do in preparation for their own team brings out the good qualities of each competitor and gives any man an opportunity to make the University team later.

Provisional Fall Track Schedule.

The following schedule has been arranged for the fall season of the University track team, subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee:

October 10.--First consolation cross-country run.

October 18.--Freshman track meet.

October 23.--Second consolation cross-country run.

October 25.--Handicap track meet.

November 6.--Third consolation cross-country run.

November 9.--Yale cross-country run.

November 13.--Class cross-country run.

November 23.--Intercollegiate cross-country run.