Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

NEW MUSIC BUILDING.

The announcement that the generous offer made a year ago of a building for the Division of Music is at last made available through the equally generous gift of a maintenance fund, will bring general satisfaction. Music has long has a prominent and honorable place in Harvard University, and of late years it has received increasing attention and support. The prosperity of the Musical Clubs, the abundance of excellent recitals and symphonic concerts in Cambridge, the founding of the Harvard Opera Association and of the unique Harvard Musical Review, have all been recent developments of prime significance in the movement toward a better appreciation of music. Concurrent with these things has come a corresponding increase in the number and enrollment of the University music courses.

The Department of Music has been inconvenienced and even gravely, hampered, however, because it lacked a suitable centre in which to concentrate the numerous courses and activities under its direction. The noisy location and diminutive proportions of Holden Chapel manifestly unfit it for being such a centre. It can with a fair degree of comfort accommodate 85 students, while some music courses contain an enrollment of over 120. The assurance of a new adequate Music Building where Harvard musical traditions may be fitly maintained and raised even to a higher level of fame is a source of congratulation to all Harvard men and in particular all music-lovers.