Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

New Plays in Boston

Mrs. Fiske in "The High Road."

By G. H.

The play at the Hollis this week begins at nine forty-five; the curtain rises as usual at eight ten.

"A pilgrimage in five parts," this latest work from the pen of Mr. Edward Sheldon '08 has as its raisons d'etre the final two acts, in themselves undoubtedly the best work Mr. Sheldon has done and well worth the waiting for.

Mary Page, a country lass made unhappy by a hard-hearted father, abandons the farm to live for three years with the artist. At the end of three years, satiate with the life of ill-earned case, she becomes a worker in New York at seven dollars a week, organizes a labor union for women, finally passes a bill making possible the eight-hour day for women. The governor who signs the bill is none other than the girl's country lover of the first act, and it is he whom she now marries. The crucial clash in the play comes between the governor, his wife, and a political blackmailer. The scene of inquisition in the fourth act is a masterpiece of dramatic construction.

Mrs. Fiske as Mary Page gives a character study which for minuteness of excellence could not be equalled on our stage. It is the interest in the character of Mary which carries the play to its very strong final acts.

"The High Road," though dull in spots, yet gives us Mr. Sheldon at his best.