Union's Attitude to Territorial Clubs.

Communications

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The president of the Federation of Territorial Clubs has answered fully in another column the communication in yesterday's CRIMSON signed by Mr. J. F. Stambaugh, president of the Ohio State Club, who opposes in the name of his club the action taken by the Executive Committee of the Federation in allying the Federation with the Union. Whether or not the Ohio State Club, which has been in existence only a couple of weeks, should feel called upon to upset a plan endorsed by the officers of the Federation of which it is a member, and already enthusiastically adopted by a number of the leading clubs of the Federation, I am unable to say. I do desire to state that the Union has undertaken this idea at no small expense and from no desire for financial gains: it has a membership ample to cover expenses and a large reserve fund in addition. But the Governing Board believes that the Union should be, for the best interests of Harvard, the social centre of the University for just such organizations as the Federation of Territorial Clubs. It is the purpose of the Governing Board to make it such. In thwarting the plan of the Federation, I feel that any individual club will not only defeat this purpose but will injure the effectiveness of the Federation in depriving it of the stability and assured position which co-operation with the Union would insure.

The aim of both the Union and the Territorial Clubs is to serve the University. Cannot such service be made more effective by co-operation? W. M. E. WHITELOCK '13.