OTTAWA WINS HOCKEY GAME

UNIVERSITY DEFEATED 2 TO 0 BY CANADIANS IN SLOW CONTEST.

In a slow and rather uninteresting game Ottawa defeated the University hockey team last night by the score of 2 to 0. The contest showed up many weaknesses that will have to be over-come if the team is to defeat Yale and Princeton later in the season.

Gardner's work at goal was first class and he hit both of the shots that scored, only to have the puck carrom off his guards into the net. The first goal same on a long shot by Chartrand, while the second was scored by the same man from a scrimmage in front of the cage. The defence on the whole was good, although the men did not feed the puck to the forwards very well. Occasionally the offence showed bursts of speed, but it was only occasionally. Sortwell and Phillips played brilliantly in the second half, but never seemed to get going together. Several times one or the other of them took the puck down the rink, but being alone was easily stopped by the opposing defence. At least two good opportunities to score were lost from the mere fact that after the shot was blocked there was no one on hand to knock in the rebound.

Ottawa had been heralded as a speedy combination after their victory over McGill in New York, but they appeared very weak last night, except for the brilliancy of Nagle and Chartrand. These two men played a roving style of game, seemed all over the ice, and made many hard shots for goal.

The game was interrupted from the side-lines toward its close because Ottawa re-substituted Nagle after he had previously given way to O'Neil.

The summary: OTTAWA.  HARVARD. Chartrand, Jardine, r.e.  l.e., Hopkins, Baldwin Brouse, r.c.  l.c., Sortwell, Palmer Nagle, O'Neil, l.c.  r.c., Phillips, Gorham Dore, l.e. r.e., Morgan, Clark, Devereux Goodwin, c.p.  c.p., Claflin O'Leary p.  p., Willetts Derocher, g.  g., Gardner

Score--Ottawa 2, Harvard 0. Goals--Chartrand 2. Referees--Townsend, Galligan. Goal umpires--Murphy, Foster. Timers--Dutton, Carleton. Time--two 20-minute halves.