PRACTICE OF FOOTBALL SQUADS

Slashing Work by University Team. Freshmen in First Scrimmage.

The University football team succeeded in scoring two touchdowns on the second team in a short 20 minute scrimmage yesterday. Only one of the goals was kicked, the score standing 13 to 0 when time was called. Following this the substitutes lined up against the second team, but with far different results. The second team was not only able to hold their opponents in neutral territory most of the time, but also came uncomfortably near scoring upon them. Temple at half-back and Felton at left end both played hard, slashing games. The latter was particularly brilliant, and it would not be surprising if he were soon a strong contender for a position on the first squad.

The first touchdown for the University came when a fumble by the seconds was recovered on the 20-yard line. After Hardwick and Mahan had advanced the ball to the 10-yard line, Brickley carried it over in three powerful rushes. Storer kicked the goal. The second score was made when Hardwick found a hole at left tackle, and went through for a 15-yard run, after the ball had been advanced from the mid-field by a series of plunges. Storer missed the goal, for the ball was carried across near the sidelines, and the punt-out was poor.

Several Spectacular Plays.

Several spectacular plays occurred during the afternoon. Mahan received the second kick-off on the 5-yard line and carried it to the middle of the field before he was stopped. Brickley got away for a 20-yard run, almost gaining a clear field before he was tackled. The punting was done by Hardwick, and was one of the encouraging features of the scrimmage. His kicks usually went for about 40 yards and were high enough for the ends, Coolidge and O'Brien, to get down well under them.

The teams lined up as follows:

UNIVERSITY.  SUBSTITUTES.O'Brien, l.e.  r.e., FeltonStorer, l.t.  r.t., SigourneyMills, l.g.  r.g., ConwaySoucy, c.  c., WinsorWeston, r.g.  l.g., KeanHitchcock, r.t.  l.t., IselinCoolidge, Gardiner, r.e.  l.e., Adams, HarrowerBradlee, q.b.  q.b., SwigertMahan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., TylerHardwick, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Stanton, TempleBrickley, f.b.  f.b., Kin