SAFETY AND 2 TOUCHDOWNS

University Eleven Succeeded in Scoring on Both Second and Freshmen in Hard Scrimmage.

Two hard scrimmages, one of three-quarters of an hour against the second team, and one of 15 minutes against the Freshman team, practically finished the hard work of the University football squad in preparation for the Holy Cross game tomorrow. The regular team played but a short time, and the Freshman field, where scrimmages were held, was in such poor conditions that the men had great difficulty in starting and keeping their feet. Yet the whole team showed a power and spirit that on a dry field would have been disastrous for their opponents. As it was, they scored two touchdowns on the second team, and a safety against the Freshmen.

The University, except for one forward pass, used nothing but straight line plays, which the heavy Freshman line succeeded in holding fairly well. Neither the Freshmen nor the seconds were able to gain through the University team.

Bettle Crosses Goal-line.

The first score against the seconds followed the blocking and recovery of a punt on the 20-yard line. From here the ball was sent over in a few rushed, Bettle making the final plunge. A few minutes later, after a 30-yard run by Mahan and an exchange of kicks, Rollins found a hole through right tackle and ran 25 yards for the second score.

Freshmen Offer Sturdy Resistance.

During the Freshman scrimmage, there was no steady gaining on either side. Toward the end of the play, the University made its first down on its opponent's 9-yard line; but here the Freshmen held out stoutly, taking the ball on downs on the 1-yard line. Harris attempted to kick out, but Gilman got through and tackled him behind the line for a safety.

The teams lined up as follows: UNIVERSITY  FRESHMEN. O'Brien, Whitney, l.e.  r.e., Coolidge, Culbert Storer, l.t.  r.t., Cabot Cowen, F. Withington, l.g.  r.g., Berman Trumbull, Soucy, Middendorf, Bigelow, C.  c., Morgan Pennock, Weston, r.g.  l.g., Duncan Hitchcock, Gilman, r.t.  l.t., Dean Milholland, Amory, Coolidge, r.e.  l.e., Hart, Cunningham Logan, Freedley, q.b.  q.b., Minot, Boles Mahan, McKinlock, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Hitchcock, Douglas Hardwick, Rollins, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Wilcox, Coolidge Bettle, Willetts, f.b.  f.b.; Harris