Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

WILLIAMS EASILY CHAMPION

HOLDS FINAL MATCH OF TENNIS WITH J. J. ARMSTRONG TO THREE SETS.

In the finals of the University tennis tournament for the singles championship played yesterday on Holmes Field, R. N. Williams, Jr., '16 defeated J. J. Armstrong '14 in straight sets 6-4, 6-4, 6-1. Although Armstrong played a hard, clever game, showing great speed and often using his chop-strokes with telling effect, the issue of the match was never in doubt. He was simply outclassed by Williams, who played a cool, consistent game marked by periodical flashes of brilliancy. His volleys were excellent and exceedingly cleverly placed, while his base-line shots gained him many points. Armstrong frequently weakened in his service and made many doubles, in sharp contrast to his opponent who served consistently, allowing no doubles throughout the match. In spite of the fact that recent rain has made the court soft and slow, the play was fast and marked by many long and spirited rallies.

The match in detail follows:

Total points: Williams, 112; Armstrong, 91.

Doubles: Williams, 0; Armstrong, 12.

Nets: Williams, 32; Armstrong, 34.

Outs: Williams, 25; Armstrong, 30.

Placements: Williams, 32; Armstrong, 21.

The final match in the University doubles championship will be played today on Jarvis Field at 2.30 o'clock. E. R. Hastings '14 and J. C. Devereux '14 will meet R. N. Williams, Jr., '16 and E. H. Whitney '14.

The interclass tennis tournament will begin tomorrow. The order of play will appear in the CRIMSON.