REAL OPPOSITION FOR BACKS

PITTED AGAINST VARSITY LINE AND FAIL TO SCORE.--STORER AGAIN AT END.

A unique shift was tried in football practice yesterday, when the second team backs were used behind the first team line, and the first string backs behind the second string line. The result of this experimental line-up was that, although scrimmage lasted a full hour, there was no scoring on either side. The regular backfield found the defence of its own line too powerful, and could not gain consistently, once being held for downs on the 1-yard line. The opponents--the team with the first string line--did not even do as well as this, their only chances to score coming on attempted drop-kicks from behind the 40-yard line.

Storer again appeared at right end, with Gilman taking his place at tackle. The new combination worked with as few slips as could be expected in the first scrimmage. It was Gilman who stopped Hardwick on the 1-yard line, when the distance meant a touchdown. Captain Storer played a good but somewhat erratic game, once letting Hardwick get outside him for a 25-yard gain, but at another time throwing him behind the line for a 10-yard loss. On punts, he showed about the same speed as O'Brien in getting down under the ball.

The scrimmage also emphasized, from the failure to score, one fact that has been evident all season--that the University is stronger on the defence than the offense. On the offence, Brickley and Mahan were held to small gains; and on the defence, the line steadily refused to allow holes to be opened.