PHI BETA KAPPA.

There, was a time when the elections to Phi Beta Kappa were quite an arbitrary affair. The twenty men or more in the class who had received the greatest number of As were elected in order of their rank, according to the figures in the College office. No man was considered for election from outside this select group of scholars. For some years to attempt was made to broaden the qualifications for membership and the result was the society narrowed down into a group of men similar to those recently described by President Hadley of Yale as "professional scholars." Another and more dangerous result was a loss of prestige and influence in the University.

A change has been introduced in the last year or two which broadens the election considerably. The present regulations stipulate that not more than eight men shall be elected from the twelve men in highest standing in the Junior class, and not more than 22 are to be chosen from the 44 highest members of the Senior class. Thus an opportunity is given to base the election on ability and not necessarily on priority in rank alone. It is not stipulated that the entire number be elected and if the society cannot find eight and twenty-two men respectively in the lists referred to they are obliged to take only those men who fulfill their idea of the requirements. In addition, five men are to be chosen from the Senior class who would not be eligible under the provision stated above but who have distinguished themselves in other ways.

In an institution where scholarship has inadequate appreciation by undergraduates and almost no social incentive to encourage it, a society which has high scholarship for its ideal must recognize the importance of including scholars of character and ability along with the highest stand men. Some endeavor must be made to remove the opprobrium from scholarship which is all too prevalent and a continuation of such a policy by the Phi Beta Kappa will be of great assistance.