MASTERY IN TACTIC DETAILS

COACH HAUGHTON CAREFULLY DRILLED TEAM IN DUMMY SCRIMMAGE.

Mastery of detail in offensive and defensive tactics was the object of Coach Haughton's program of work for the University eleven on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. The 20-minute practice consisted mainly of a thorough dummy scrimmage and though not a vigorous test of the team's fighting power, it seemed to be highly satisfactory as work in preparation for the game with Cornell tomorrow and that with Princeton a week later.

Realizing that the drop-kick will probably be of much need to the Harvard team in the coming games, the coaching staff is developing this method of scoring for more efficient and more frequent use. Late yesterday afternoon a team composed of University players and substitutes, lined up against the seconds for twenty minutes, in order to allow Brickley and Logan to test their drop-kicks. Brickley booted the ball from the 35-yard line straight over the bar five times out of seven attempts. Logan's attempts were not so successful, as he scored only one out of five.

Injured Men Recovering.

The injured men are gradually recovering. Hitchcock's ankle, which may keep him out of the fight until after the Princeton game is now the worst injury. Although Mahan will not be able to play tomorrow on account of his poisoned foot which still confines him in the infirmary, he should be back at his position early next week. O'Brien was dressed for practice yesterday, and may be able to play tomorrow if necessary. Improvement appears also among the substitutes. Elken, a substitute tackle, practiced for the first time in two weeks; R. Curtis, another tackle, was also out yesterday.

The backfield in yesterday's practice consisted of Logan, at quarter, and Hardwick, Bradlee and Brickley. At left end Coolidge was in O'Brien's place, with Storer on the other end. The tackles were Withington, left, and Gilman, right; the guards were Pennock and Cowen. Trumbull was at centre. Despite the weakness evident in the left side of the line, where Hitchcock is replaced by Withington who is between two new men, this is very probably the order which will face Cornell tomorrow.