ON THE RIVER.

In past years countless dormitory eights have splashed on the river and enjoyed life in pursuit of the Filley Cup. But there was a drawback. The man who had rowed before was subjected to the nuisances of the novice who continually fell out of stroke. His chances for improvement were few. The novice on the other hand felt peculiarly out-of-place behind the experienced man. This year the graded crew system is to be adopted. Men will be boated according to their strength, ability, and previous experience. The delights and advantages of afternoons on the river in an eight will be open to all, with the most disagree able feature of the old system gone.

There is little need here of a disquisition on the merits of physical exercise in general and the sport of rowing in particular. Most men know them; those who do not, should learn. If they fail to answer the call, they are either neglectful or do not understand. The opportunity, if you are new, to be trained in rowing by experienced coaches; if you are an old devotee, to be improved; the opportunity under the supervision of these coaches to work up to the University squad is one which occurs in the fall of the year as at no other time.