SOCCER OPPONENTS POWERFUL

Springfield Defeated University Eleven Saturday by Superior Team-Play, Score Being 3 to 1.

The Springfield Training School defeated the University soccer team 3 to 1 on Saturday afternoon. All of the opposing team's scoring was done in the first half, when Harvard was compelled to play against a strong wind, which not only made rushing difficult, but prevented getting the ball away from the goal at several crucial moments. All things considered, the University eleven, with the exception of the forward line, played a very good, hard game. Team-work has improved somewhat, but a thorough and instinctive knowledge of the game is not yet displayed in the rushes. Springfield, on the other hand, exhibited a great deal of skill in all departments, being especially excellent in passing.

In spite of its recent defeats, there is no cause for discouragement concerning the soccer team. With reasonable improvement and the increasing knowledge of the game which is being obtained with each contest, the material should be rounded into excellent form in which to open the spring season.

The line-ups were as follows: HARVARD.  SPRINGFIELD. Smart, r.o.f.  r.o.f., Irwin Blackmur, r.i.f.  r.i.f., Rossetti Baker, c.f.  c.f., Eadie Carnochan, l.i.f.  l.i.f., Wellington Weld, l.o.f.  l.o.f., Rudkin Grant, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Bowers Francke, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Vogt Carson, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Bird Moffat, r.f.b.  r.f.b., Payne Kingman, l.f.b.  l.f.b., Nelson Nichols, g.  g., Mills

Goals--Eadie, Rudkin, Rossetti, Smart. Time--45-minute halves.