LITTLE OPPOSITION ENCOUNTERED

University Team Has Not Yet Been Pushed to Limit.

The University football team opened practice with what is without doubt one of the most brilliant backfields in the country, its one vulnerable point being the quarterback position. The material for this in comparison with the other three backs, has seemed rather poor; yet the immense improvement shown by Freedley and more particularly by Logan in the recent games, seems to indicate no lack of good generalship in the Princeton contest.

In the line, far more serious problems were encountered. One guard and one end seemed particularly weak, but these defects were largely remedied by the shift which placed Storer at the right wing, with Gilman filling the tackle position. The regular line is now intensely powerful on the defence, one through which no team yet played has been able to gain appreciably; on the offence it is not so good, seeming to lack somewhat the fighting punch even when well down in the enemies' territory.

No real test has yet been made of the University's strength. None of its scores have been close, and at no time has it been pushed to the limit. Teams heralded as powerful have not been able to withstand the University's onslaught--whether from their own inferiority or the University's excellence is a question which can best be settled after tomorrow's contest.

The season was opened in the most spectacular style when in the very first play of the first game--with Maine--Logan ran back a kickoff for a touchdown. The form shown in this contest, the score of which was 34 to 0, demonstrated that the men had already mastered fundamentals.

The following Saturday, Bates proved a much harder proposition, holding the University to 14 points. The work, though the field was soggy, was far from high class, being an almost complete reversal of form over the previous week.

On October 11, Williams sprung a rather surprisingly strong eleven, and although the game ended 23 to 3, the teams at the opening of the last quarter tied with one drop kick each. Near the end of the game, Williams's defence crumpled absolutely, allowing three touchdowns to be made in rapid succession by a substitute eleven.

Holy Cross Easy Victim.

The Holy Cross game was an absolute walkaway, the visiting eleven being swamped under a 47 to 7 defeat. The University was irrisistible after the first few minutes of play, when Holy Cross made its touchdown by recovering a fumbled punt.

Pennsylvania State, secured at the eleventh hour to fill the vacancy caused by the cancellation of the Norwich game, put up a slightly better argument, allowing the University to score only 29 points. This margin does not, however, indicate the true conditions of the contest, for several times the brilliantly spectacular work of Miller, the Penn. quarter, made a score seem imminent.

Substitutes Made Weak Showing.

Cornell, played last Saturday, was also defeated by the comfortable score of 23 to 6. The game conclusively demonstrated one fact,--that the University's substitute material cannot be compared with the regular line-up. While the regulars opposed it, the Cornell aggregation was never within striking distance of the goal; but against the substitutes in the last quarter it was able to tear through on straight line plays from the 37-yard line for a touchdown. In other respects, however, the showing of the University eleven was distinctly encouraging.