CERCLE PLAY REVIEWED

"Le Chateau Historique" Adds One More Success to Already Large Total.

By R. H. Keniston.

The "Cercle Francis" last evening added another success to an already long list by the presentation of Le Chateau Historique in Jordan Hall. The choice of the comedy of Bisson and Berr de Turrique was a happy one, for the characters are not too subtle for adequate interpretation and the action is sprightly. The authors have contrived their intrigue with skill; the dialogue is interesting, if not brilliant, and the staging simple. The "Cercle" was fortunate in the co-operation of Mme. Baldensperger, whose impersonation of the somewhat ungrateful role of Marguerite Boudoin, the sentimental wife of the practical Gaston, was the feature of the performance. Mme. Baldensperger played her part with a fine artistic reserve which was characteristically French. Miss Fogler as the younger sister, was charming and not too effusive and Mme. Darmand took advantage of the comic elements in the role of Choice, "fat and forty," but still a devotee of romance. R. D. Skinner '15 was effective as the jealous husband, although his expressions at times bespoke rather those of the villain of melodrama. M. Darmand was a masterly Claude Barrois, thoroughly finished in his action and singularly successful in change of mood. The minor parts were fairly well presented, in spite of a certain uneasiness of gesture and posture. L. W. Coleman '16 in the opening act was admirable as Justin, the tourists' guide and the role of Stanisias Colombin was adequately presented by J. A. Swinson '16.

Certain incongruities in the stage setting will no doubt be eliminated in another performance and the ensemble should improve with repetition. It is perhaps carping to repeat that the size of the auditorium with a scattering audience is unfavorable to the best efforts of the performers and it is to be hoped that the transferral of the performances to Boston is not an irrevocably permanent one. Whatever tongue they may employ, college plays are essentially for college audiences.