THE MONTHLY AND ADVOCATE.

One of the splendid platitudes of our table-talk in that Harvard is so full of organizations that none of them demands the interest of more than a limited few. But, platitude or not, it is true; and any movement to reduce the little spheres of interest the pepper the College is, therefore, very desirable. And so it was that the union of the Monthly and Advocate, which was so nearly successful last year, was welcomed in all serious undergraduate circles as a wise means of centralizing the interest which the College has in local literature. But the fusion lingered and failed and has not since been heard-from. The demand for consolidation, however, has not been silenced; in fact, it breaks out in undergraduate conversation at least as often as any other subject, and is treated with more warmth than most.

The one great argument for union rests on fact: there is not enough support, literary or financial, for more than one University magazine of the character of the two in question. Lack of literary support is attested by the difficulty with which the papers fill their pages with worthy material; lack of financial support follows in the tracks of small subscription lists and competition for advertising. Moreover, general lack of interest in the magazines among undergraduates is proved by the little comment with which their appearance each month is greeted. And worse that this, they are frequently unrepresented even on the library tables of the College clubs.

The mending of the situation is easy. Personal sentiments should be set aside for the good of the College as a whole, and the advocate and the Monthly should combine. It is clear that in disunion there lies weakness. Proverbially at least, in union there is strength.