YALE HOCKEY GAME TONIGHT

UNIVERSITY TEAM WILL OPEN SERIES IN ARENA THIS EVENING AT 8.15.

Tonight the University hockey team plays the first game of the series with Yale in the Arena at 8.15 o'clock. The only team which both Harvard and Yale have played is Princeton, who defeated Yale in an over-time game, and lost to the University seven, also in an over-time session. Yale has defeated Columbia, but has lost to McGill and St. Paul's. These last two games were played during the Christmas recess and the team has greatly improved since that time. Last night after the University team finished its practice Yale took the ice and held practice for an hour.

Review of Harvard Season.

The University team began the season with excellent prospects, having several good men as veterans and some first class material from last year's Freshmen to draw on. The work was rather ragged in the early games, but of late has shown tremendous progress, culminating in the Princeton game in which the team proved that it could play an uphill fight and win out.

Gardner, at goal, Willetts, at point, and Sortwell and Palmer, as forwards, were the veterans left from last season, while Hopkins and Morgan played on their Freshman teams two years ago, and Claflin and Phillips came up from the 1915 team. Neither Clark nor Goodale played on a Freshman team, but they had good training while in school. Claflin was playing a very good game until he was taken ill, at which time it became necessary to put in Goodale. The latter represented the University in hockey for the first time in the Princeton game and gave a very good account of himself. Captain Gardner is a well-known quantity at goal and has given some of the best exhibitions of the art of goal-tending ever seen at the Boston Arena, while Willetts has played the position of point for several years and is always a great obstacle to opposing offences. Sortwell is the best man on the forward line, and numbers among the best players seen at the Arena this season. He is closely followed by his team-mates, however, and the four men make a combination that works well together, and one that has been constantly improving in its team-work.

While it is impossible to make much of a prediction as to the result of tonight's contest, it is certain that the University team is determined to give its best and play its hardest to keep up the record started by the football and cross-country teams last fall.

The line-ups: HARVARD.  YALE. Hopkins, l.e.  r.e., MacDonald Sortwell, l.c.  r.c., Ordway Phillips, r.c.  l.c., Harmon Morgan, r.e.  l.e., Heron Goodale, c.p.  c.p., Cox Willetts, p.  p., Martin Gardner, g.  g., Shiller