COLLEGE MEN IN NAVY.

Harvard men will be greatly interested in the announcement of the tentative plans which the United States naval authorities have formulated for giving college men an opportunity for short term service in the navy. In both the navy and army there is need of a large Reserve, and of educated men in the service in order that there may be competent men prepared to act as officers in the Reserve in case of war. College men now generally shun both the army and navy, even when they have a longing for military experience, because they dread a four-year term. The need of a special short term of enlistment for college men was pointed out by Major General Leonard Wood in his lecture on the army in the Union on November 7 last. General Wood showed that at present for the army alone we could muster at most but 106,000 men whereas a Reserve of at least 600,000 experienced men is needed to afford sufficient protection to our extensive borders and outlying possessions. Among college men, General Wood believes we should look for officers of the Reserve.

Service in the navy aboard a battleship or special training ship, especially during the summer months, should be very attractive to men interested in nautical science, engineering, or the science of war. This is practically the plan which will be submitted by Captain C. C. Marsh in the Living Room of the Union tomorrow evening. President Lowell and Professor Hollis will also be present to speak and it is hoped that students having views on the subject will offer suggestions from the floor. The adoption of a short term of enlistment for college men means the opening to them of new fields for employing their talents and ability. Therefore, we hope that as many men as can will attend the lecture in the Union tomorrow night to listen to the plans and give those who are working for their fulfillment the aid of their opinions.

Public Speaking courses will meet in Sanders Theatre at hours arranged.