LECTURE BY CAPTAIN MARSH

IN UNION LAST EVENING.--OUTLINED PLAN FOR SUMMER NAVAL TRAINING.

Captain C. C. Marsh, U. S. N., outlined a plan for summer naval training before an audience that filled the Living Room of the Union last evening. College men are needed for certain positions on board the battleships which require their intelligence and training. For example, gun pointers, sight setters, spotters, and turret crews are needed, and would be deplorably lacking, if the country were faced by sudden war. The elements of mathematics are all that would be required for such work, although greater knowledge, especially in mechanics and engineering, could be used to advantage.

Men wishing to try the experiment this year would start work about the first of July and finish some time in September. Expenses would include rations and uniforms, and occasional incidental outlays. A bill for a naval reserve covering such expenses has lately been pushed and if the experiment proves successful; will probably be passed in Congress.

Aside from personal advantages derived from the life and experience of the summer's work, the plan should make its patriotic appeal to all who have the country's safety at heart.

Further Information by A. J. Lowry '13.

Men wishing further information may consult A. J. Lowrey '13 president of the Student Council, who will keep hours daily from 12 to 1 in Holworthy 5. Any who have already decided to go next summer may also hand their names to him.