CORNERSTONE OF NEW CLUB

President Lowell Laid First Stone for Boston Harvard Club Last Night.

The Harvard Club of Boston last night laid the cornerstone of its new home on Commonwealth avenue, just west of Massachusetts avenue. The club members marched from the Somerset Hotel to the site of the new building, where, avoid torch lights and the strains of "Fair Harvard," they put in place the first stone of their new structure.

At the preliminary exercises held in the Hotel Somerset, Bishop William Lawrence '71 emphasized, in a short but forcible address, the importance of making Harvard first a provincial and then a truly national institution. He pleaded for a strengthening of home ties among Harvard graduates in this vicinity.

Odin Roberts '86, vice-president of the Harvard Club spoke next, and then a letter was read from President Eliot, who was unable to accept the invitation to address the members. In his letter President Eliot showed the many opportunities for which the Boston Harvard Club could be of service to the graduates of the University.

Soon after the reading of President Eliot's letter, those present walked to the site of the club house, marching to the tune of "Up the Street." President Lowell took a silver trowel and spread the motor on the cornerstone which was then put in place.

The whole meeting last night was an enthusiastic one. It showed that the purpose of the club was to extend true New England hospitality to all graduates of the University.