PASSING OF HISTORIC HOUSE

Former Residence of Harvard Presidents is Being Demolished.--Its Interesting History.

The demolition of the President's old home on Quincy street, which began last Saturday, is now well under way. The contract for the work has been awarded the Thomas A. Elston Company, of Boston, and the destruction should be completed within a month. The floors and parts of the walls have already been removed. A larger wrecking crew will soon begin tearing away the more heavily constructed walls and beams.

The history of the building, which is a comparatively modern one, extends back over half a century. The proposal to build a permanent home for the President of the University was made first by the Honorable Peter C. Brooks, in 1846, when he contributed $10,000 for the proposed building. It was not until fifteen years later, however, when the fund had grown to $16,000, that the house was completed. President Felton moved into it during the summer of 1861, living there less than a year. President Hill resided there from 1862 to 1868, when President Eliot succeeded him. President Lowell has occupied the house since 1910.

During the building's existence it has sheltered many famous men, both of this country and of foreign nations. At the close of the War of the Rebellion many of the Federal generals were entertained there. In 1865 General Meade, in the following year General Sherman, were guests of honor. Among other guests have been: Governor Brackett and Bishop Potter, who were present during the Commencement of 1890; Governor Russell and Chief Justice Fuller, in 1891; Governor Hughes, of New York, J. Pierpont Morgan, Governor Foss, and Mr. Meyer, Secretary of the Navy. The governor of Massachusetts and his staff have been regular Commencement guests. Ex-President McKinley, ex-President Roosevelt, and President Taft have visited there. At the last Commencement, which was practically the last time that guests of the Corporation were entertained at the home, William Cameron Forbes, Governor of the Philippines, Colonel George W. Goethals, Chief Engineer of the Panama Canal, and W. F. Sloan, President of Colorado College, were among the guests.

The building, erected in 1861, was thought then to be fully capable of serving as the home of the Presidents for many years. With the growth of the University, however, and the demand for more space, a building larger and more suitable for purposes of entertainment was needed.