NEW FIELD OF STUDY OPENED

Japanese Professors May be Procured to Give Courses on Oriental Philosophical Systems.

The Corporation has received the sum of $20,000, largely subscribed by Japanese graduates of the University, which will be used for the establishment of lectures on oriental philosophy by Japanese professors. It is expected that arrangements will be completed so that the lectures will commence next year. Appointments will usually be made on this foundation for two or more years, and it is hoped that it will be possible to obtain professors from the Imperial universities of Japan on leave of absence.

This addition to the already extremely well equipped department of Philosophy will be a unique one. The nearest approach to such a course of lectures is the regular half course given by Professor J. H. Woods '87 on the philosophical systems of India.

In commenting on the significance and value of such a course in the University the Alumni Bulletin says: "The fund which has been raised to bring Japanese professors to lecture at Harvard on Oriental philosophy will add both to the interest and to the general service done by the University. We are situated in a far corner of the country in a community of strong opinions; and everything that can open out horizons to our students improves the training that they get here. It will be a valuable addition to the equipment of the University to have this foundation to set before us the ideas and the ideals of a people who by sheer intellectual power have accomplished successfully one of the great revolutions in the history of the world.