Is Harvard to be Considered?

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

There is at present a movement on foot to consolidate the Monthly and the Advocate. The benefits which would accrue to each of the papers have been clearly and indubitably outlined in the general discussion so far. Yet I think that there is one broad aspect of the question which has not been emphasized so much as it should have been It is this: what will the merger do for the College? It is a shame that Harvard, the oldest, the most cultured the most advanced of American universities should be without a recognized literary representative. As it is now, both papers claim to be "the" Harvard literary; as a result neither is truly representative. This matter of a literary organ may at first blush appear trivial, yet after a moment of thought it will be perceived that it is really of great importance. The literary organ of the College should express the noblest and finest and best that has been thought or felt in our community. Its service should be to stimulate and clarify both thought and beauty of expression in the authors and in their classmates who read their productions. Moreover, it should stand as representative to the outside world of the undergraduate culture and literary ability. The University at present has no such organ. The boards of the Monthly and the Advocate have a rare opportunity of performing a lasting and sorely needed service to their university. Should it be thrown away because of petty personal considerations. Is not he greater who foregoes personal gratification that he may render his community a service than he who by his selfish ambition continues to injure both those directly concerned and the community as a whole.  A. SENIOR