Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

PRESIDENT ELIOT'S ADDRESS

Spoke to Members of Graduate Schools on "Racial Religions."

President Eliot spoke on "Racial Religions" before members of the Graduate Schools in the Parlor of Phillips Brooks House last night.

Regarding religion as a great determining cause of many differences between races, President Eliot vividly traced the various religious elements, doctrines, and practices found in India, China, and Japan. He briefly pointed out some of the effects that a true religion can have on the people that accept it. Two of our doctrines so great in the development of the human mind are those of fraternity and of the conception of the Deity as a god to be worshipped in spirit. Neither of these conceptions generally exists in India, China, or Japan. The Eastern races have no conception of the brotherhood of man. For instance, if a woman in Canton were to fall in a river before the eyes of a hundred men, they would let her drown. Nor have these foreign peoples any spiritual conception of the Deity. Christianity has before it the task of carrying the spiritual conception of the Deity into foreign lands. With it will go the consecration of the affections of the family. The most striking difference between Christian and Eastern religions lies in the conceptions of activity, of doing things for the benefit of others. The work for the welfare of all is a Christian gift to mankind.