SERVICE WITH DR. GRENFELL

IN HIS TALK ON IT DR. LITTLE SPOKE OF PART COLLEGE MEN CAN PLAY,

Dr. John Mason Little, Jr., '97 gave a lecture on "Service under Dr. Grenfell" in the Living Room of the Union last evening. Illustrating his talk with stereopticon pictures, Dr. Little outlined the work which Dr. Grenfell and his corps are accomplishing among the fishermen of Labrador, and spoke especially of the help that college students are rendering by spending their summer vacations among the missionaries.

The people along the Atlantic shores of British America, Dr. Little pointed out, are almost entirely poor fishermen. In the northern district are Eskimos, while in the interior regions are some tribes of Indians in a primitive state of civilization. The majority of the population is composed of English, Scotch, and Irish who have become illiterate and isolated in the course of the last three hundred years. The women in this territory have little social standing, being allotted much heavy manual labor in the work of drying fish, besides having to care for their homes.

Dr. Grenfell has given up his time, since he went into the Newfoundland region, to establishing hospitals and improving the economic condition of the country. The number of deaths from tuberculosis, the most extensive disease, is being lessened by the establishment of "open air" hospitals, and glass-walled wards. Such progress has been made that in one of the hospitals the chief Marconi operator now has an X-ray machine. Dr. Grenfell has built several mills and machine shops which, even though operating at a loss financially, are giving the people many needed conveniences.

For several years, said Dr. Little, college men have been coming regularly to spend their summer vacations in the Labrador region. They usually help with manual labor, such as loading lumber schooners and building concrete reservoirs. In spare time they enjoy a variety of sports. They fish for trout and salmon, have dog-team races, and take long jaunts on skis. There is a good opportunity in this way, was Dr. Little's conclusion, for college men to do something useful and novel in the summer time.