WILL HEAD WORCESTER TECH

PROFESSOR HOLLIS, LONG IN CHARGE OF ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT, TO LEAVE.

Professor Ira N. Hollis h.'99 of the Engineering School has accepted the invitation of the Worcester Polytechnic Institute to become president of that institution, the appointment to take effect July 1 of the present year. He has been professor of engineering in the University since 1893 and was at the head of the Department of Engineering from that date to 1909.

Professor Hollis is a graduate of Annapolis. After spending eight years in the navy, and rising to the rank of passed assistant engineer, he resigned his commission to take up teaching here. He has been very popular among the students, was chairman of the Athletic Committee from 1897 to 1903, and is at present chairman of the board of trustees of the Union, in which he has shown a deep interest.

In 1899, Professor Hollis was given an honorary A.M. by the University, and in the same year Union conferred upon him the degree of L.H.D. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the Society of United States Naval Engineers, the Boston Society of Civil Engineers and the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education. He is the author of "War College Lectures on Naval Ships," and "History of the Frigate Constitution," and has been a frequent contributor to engineering journals.