INADEQUATE SCHOOL SYSTEM

PROFESSOR HANUS GIVES ADDRESS ON NEW YORK PUBLIC SCHOOL INQUIRY.

Professor P. H. Hanus, Chairman of the Board of the New York Public School Inquiry, gave an address on the work of the Board, in Emerson J last evening. The address was the second of a series of conferences on "Educational Measurement" under the auspices of the Phi Delta Kappa.

The inquiry carried on by the Board for a period of a year was tremendous in its scope, and invaluable to the City of New York for the future development of its educational system. In New York, there are 600,000 pupils enrolled in the public schools, and 18,000 people engaged in the problem of educating them. Consequently, an inquiry into the educational system would be of immense import.

Professor Hanus's address was chiefly a brief resume of the voluminous report of the findings of the Board. It was found that the New York public school system is seriously inadequate in view of the needs. The New York Board of Education is confused as to its powers, and internally disintegrating in regard to its functions. Finally, there is need of thorough reorganization, particularly in regard to supervisory boards.