Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

GROUND BROKEN YESTERDAY

Work Started on Smith Hall, One of New Freshman Dormitories.

Ground was broken for Smith Hall, one of the three new Freshman dormitories, yesterday morning. Work on this building and Standish Hall, the second of the group, will be pushed now so that the excavations will be completed before the close of the College year.

The contractors have been at work for three weeks on the land next to the power plant on Boylston street. Most of the time so far has been spent in clearing and leveling the ground. Yesterday morning a steam shovel was put in operation, and digging for the basement of Smith Hall was commenced. The men are also driving piles for the foundation of the big, ornamental iron fence that is to surround the dormitories. The concrete walls of the basement will be started as soon as the excavation has reached sufficient depth. The rich top soil which is being removed will be saved, and banked around the buildings.

According to the plans of the architects, the work on Smith and Standish Halls will be kept parallel this spring. The corner-stones will not be laid until College re-opens next fall