LITERARY MAGAZINES' PRIZE

ADVOCATE WITH YALE AND PRINCETON PAPERS TO OFFER ONE NEXT FALL.

At a Tri-collegiate Literary Conference recently held in New Haven under the auspices of the Harvard Advocate, the Yale Literary Magazine, the Yale Courant, and the Nassau Literary Magazine, it was decided to establish a competition between the three colleges for the best short story, poem, or one-act play.

The agreement reached was substantially as follows: The competition shall be open to all of the undergraduates of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton Universities. Three first prizes, of $50 each, or suitable engraved gold medals at the choice of the winner, shall be offered for the best short story, poem, or one-act play submitted. There is no rule prohibiting any contestant from competing for all three prizes. The manuscripts may be submitted between November 1, 1913, and February 1, 1914. They are to be signed by an assumed name and accompanied by a sealed envelope which will contain the author's real name.

There will be four judges--a member of the Faculty from each of the three Universities, and a noted writer or critic who is in no way connected with any of the universities. While the length of the manuscripts is in no way restricted, 5000 words is suggested as a reasonable limit for the short story. The winning contributions are to be published as nearly simultaneously as possible in the literary magazines of the three Universities.

These agreements were drawn up at the meeting and were to be ratified by the respective boards of the papers. Since all but the Yale Literary Magazine have signified their approval the project is practically established.