TRACK WORK DURING RECESS

Creditable Showing Made in Amateur Athletic Games on Saturday.

The candidates for the University and Freshman track teams returned Friday afternoon from Exeter, N. H., where they had been practicing since Tuesday on the Exeter Academy track. They were to have remained until Saturday, but changed their plans on account of the heavy rain. The trip was very successful, a marked improvement being made by nearly all the men. Unfortunately the weather was poor throughout the stay, handicapping the field event men especially.

On Thursday morning time trials for the quarter mile and the sprints were run with very satisfactory results. In the afternoon a handicap 12 pound hammer throw contest was held with Exeter. E. H. Ruch '10 was first with a throw of 165 ft., 8 in., from scratch; Anderson of Exeter and R. Douglas '12, each with a handicap of 10 ft., were second and third respectively, with actual throws of 138 ft. and 137 ft.

Performances at Pennsylvania Meet.

The ten members of the University team entered in the University of Pennsylvania relay carnival Saturday made an excellent showing. The relay team, however, which was considered particularly strong, won only fourth place in the one mile championship race. The event was very closely contested. Harvard was defeated by Chicago, Michigan, and Illinois.

R. C. Foster '11 won the 100-yard dash in 10 1-5 seconds, defeating Sherman of Dartmouth and Dawbarn and Gamble of Princeton. In the 16-pound shot-put c. C. Little '10 was second with a put of 44 ft., 3 in., defeating Krueger of Swarthmore, the intercollegiate shot-put champion, who won third place. J. L. Barr '10 was warded second place in the pole-vault competition; in the first round he tied with Nelson of Yale at 11 ft., 11 in., but in jumping of the tie Nelson was declared the winner. In the 120-yard hurdles W. M. Rand '09 and A. L. Besse '10 finished third and fourth respectively, in the final heat, being defeated by Shaw of Dartmouth and Dwight of Princeton.