A CONCERTED BOOM.

The time is fast approaching when the Junior class will assume another Senior duty, that of the Senior advisers to Freshmen. Assuming that the greatest care will be taken to choose men who will be taken to choose men who will be conscientious in their responsibility we come to the question of what advice they should give. Of course, the usual procedure of making the Freshman feel at home and explaining some of the ins and outs of College should be carried through, but there is one matter of vital and increasing importance on which more stress ought to be laid. We mean scholarship.

It the indications which we see are true, hints taken from perusals of our exchanges and from conversations with "foreign" visitors, there is a broad movement on foot among our colleges to spur men to higher scholarship. We believe that the greatest effect on the scholarship standard will be secured only when the prod is applied long before the men reach college, but we believe as firmly that a good deal can be done after they get there. If the Senior advisers, realizing as almost every Senior does that he is here to study, would seriously impress that idea upon their wards, we are confident that the result would be gratifying. Many upperclassmen can remember the respect which they had for their advisers' suggestions, though some of the sophisticated may have smiled in their sleeves, and remembering this, should be willing to impress on their charges the course which will make their lives at Harvard not only free from vicissitudes but full of a new and valuable sort of self-respect.